Nobby's Beach Surf Life Saving Club officially came into being in 1954, as the area between Broadbeach and Miami which had become a holiday hot spot. Late President Phil Roubin who petitioned locals, sought out six Bronze Medallion holders and purchased the land for the clubhouse. Nobby's existed well before this as during the latter years of World War II, the training army officers established beach patrols to protect the tourists who had started flocking to Nobby's Beach.
Roubin took on the role of inaugural secretary and was joined by Morrie Cave as Club Captain, Martin Purcell as foundation President and the late George Reagon - who later became the first secretary of the Queensland Liberal Party.
The orginal members, all of whom have passed away, included Frank Purcell, Tony Hughes, Les Powell, Les Hughes, Arthur Sykes, Tom Sturdy, Henry Bamfeld, Cyril Smith and C. Frazer. Roubin was eventually to spend 22 years in the President's chair, finally stepping down in 1979 as a Life Member.
The formative years were best described as "rugged". The first clubhouse and boatshed were crude shelters that were replaced five years after the club's birth. The new club was built, but the nature has not been kind to it. Sitting at the beachfront, it has been victim over the years of the shocking erosion that plagues the area. In 1967, it was only club morale and a non-stop, two-day working bee that saved it from sinking into the waves. There were similar scenes again in 1969 and 1974 when huge waves pummelled the club.
Nobby's has had some highlighted members over the years who have greatly impacted the club and influenced how we run Nobby's Beach.